Job Title: Registered Veterinarian Technician
Department: Shelter – Veterinary
Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
Job Relationship: Reports to Clinic Supervisor. Works under guidance of Head of Veterinary Services and surgical veterinarians. Oversees volunteers, interns, and students working in the APL and Animal Welfare clinics. Works closely with Animal Care, Adoptions, Admissions, and Foster personnel.
Position Summary: Assists veterinarians with all aspects of the treatment and care of animal patients at the Cleveland APL. Provides education and training to staff, clients, volunteers, and students with regards to shelter medicine, disease control, and animal care.
Essential Job Functions
Provides optimal medical care to animals at the APL; assists veterinarians
- Responsible for assisting in daily surgery and treatment of animals in APL and AWC clinics
- Ensures supplies and instruments are cleaned and prepared for daily use
- Conducts pre-surgical exams on animals and alerts veterinarian to any concerns
- Performs all pre-surgical duties as directed by veterinarian
- Calculates, administers, and records pre-anesthetic drugs under guidance of veterinarian
- Monitors anesthesia during surgery
- Monitors animals through post-anesthesia and recovery
- Works with supervisor to monitor animal flow and capacity along with surgery list to determine optimal daily surgery schedule; prioritizes surgical animals appropriately
- Responds to emergency medical situations and administers triage care
- Performs dental cleanings as assigned
- Prepares laboratory samples and evaluates in-house lab work
- Administers and records medications and treatments as assigned
- Responsible for maintaining sterile environment
- Accurately maintains animal health records and computer files
- Offers medical guidance on animal evaluation and foster; administers instructions and treatments as designated by veterinarian
- Performs euthanasia of animals as needed
- Maintains appropriate licensing and completes required continuing education courses. Adheres to state regulations and organizational protocol regarding animal care, treatment, advocacy and the mission of the APL.
Provides professional and friendly service to staff, volunteers, and clients
- Provides high quality service to clients, volunteers, and staff, recognizing their individual contributions to the success of our organization
- Provides training to staff and volunteers on disease control standards, shelter medicine protocols, and foster care guidelines
- Educates clients on pre and post-surgical care of their animals; assists with AWC check-in and/or check-out as needed
- Takes an active role in educating clients on APL programs and services
- Integrates volunteers and takes an active role in their orientation, training, safety, performance, and job satisfaction. Alerts supervisor to any volunteer concerns
- Provides orientation and training to veterinary students and interns; oversees performance and alerts supervisor to any performance concerns
Performs other duties as assigned including, but not limited to:
- Maintains the department properly with respect to appearance, sanitation, and operations
- Ensures the proper care and maintenance of all veterinary equipment
- Promotes a safe working environment and follows safety protocol; takes immediate action to address any safety concern; follows OSHA safety rules and guidelines
- Attends and participates in training programs, special projects, and other duties as assigned
- Flexible with scheduling and is available when away from the facility as needed to meet the needs of the organization
- Promotes communication and cooperation between APL departments
- Actively supports departments, staff and volunteers and promotes the development of skills related to the advancement of our goals and mission.
- Actively promotes the APL’s mission, services, programs and events. Informs clients and constituents of donation opportunities as appropriate, cultivating relationships with current and potential donors.
- Registered Veterinary Technician in State of Ohio, or ability to be registered within 6 months of hire
- Previous work experience in an animal shelter setting strongly preferred
- Ability to read and understand instructions
- Must possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License and insurable driving record.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a variety of people
- Experience in animal behavior, health, handling, and care in a shelter environment strongly preferred
- Familiarity with veterinary medical terminology
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing
- Detail oriented and able to prioritize and perform duties efficiently and effectively with an adequate amount of independence
- Committed to maintaining the Cleveland Animal Protective League’s high standard of animal care and mission to foster compassion and end animal suffering
EEOC: The Cleveland APL is an equal opportunity employer and is looking for diversity in qualified candidates for employment.