Job Title: Marketing and Communications Specialist
Department: Administration & Development
Classification: Full time, salary, exempt
Job Relationship: Reports to Senior Director of Development. Works cooperatively with CEO and Senior Director of Operations in matters involving organization communications & marketing about programs and operational issues.
Position Summary: Develops, grows, monitors, maintains, and updates the APL website. Produces and monitors a variety of written communication materials, including creating graphics. Oversees and ensures integration of APL messaging across social media platforms.
Essential Job Functions:
Develops and creates all marketing, event, and PR communications for external collateral materials and web-based platforms.
- Assesses the Cleveland APL’s online presence and makes recommendations for/implements strategies for improvement with existing strategies and expansion into new online arenas.
- Responsible for Web-based communications that intersect with the Cleveland APL’s social media accounts. Monitors other internal communications for appropriateness.
- Creates graphics for marketing & communication needs using Photoshop or InDesign.
- Oversees our Google Grants and makes sure we use it to its maximum potential.
- Oversees and coordinates the social media calendar and scheduled posts.
- Prepares and posts to social media platforms, including APL Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media accounts.
- Monitors postings by employees approved to post to the APL’s social media for appropriateness.
- Monitors postings by the public and responds promptly or forwards to the appropriate person for response.
- Pulls monthly statistics reports from social media platform accounts, reports on engagement and trends to develop effective and engaging posting strategies and copy for web-based marketing & PR communication opportunities.
- Monitors online reviews (i.e., Facebook, Google, Yelp, and other) and forwards to appropriate departments as needed.
- Manages marketing and communications messaging and effectiveness during APL fundraising and shelter appeals and events. Creates marketing & communications plan/schedule to effectively share information about the appeals and events that encourages donations and engagement.
- Track and deliver items from Amazon Wish List after social media posts.
Addresses new needs and growth on the Cleveland APL website
- Acts as liaison to senior staff for content management posting on APL website.
- Coordinates content creators from across the organization.
- Acts as liaison with APL hardware, software, and network vendor to address issues that affect the website and its availability.
- Develop, implement, and adhere to a regular website maintenance policies and procedures, including end user content change request forms and posted update/maintenance schedules, to ensure site accuracy and timeliness.
- Manage acquisition and maintenance of the APL’s domain names with the appropriate registrars.
- Find, diagnose, and fix website problems, including broken links (both internal and external), typographical errors, and formatting inconsistencies.
- Identify, implement, and manage website presence and promotion opportunities, such as search engine registration and establishing pointer links from other relevant websites.
- Respond to all e-mail messages for web administration in a timely and courteous fashion.
- Maintain an up-to-date Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document for Web site users.
- Analyze, report, and take action on website user feedback.
- Create original copy for website features where required.
- Work with volunteer photographers to upload animal photos to website and PetPoint.
- Monitors APL mobile app and updated adoptable animals’ pages on website and contacts developers (Stream9/Patronus) with any questions or issues that may arise.
Produces and monitors a variety of written communication materials:
- Assist in writing, editing and proofreading materials such as, but not limited to, direct mail letters, internal/external newsletters, donor acknowledgment letters, press releases, brochures, & e-blasts.
- Produces annual report. Pet Patter, Calendar and other communication pieces (including Capital Campaign) as assigned in InDesign.
- Works with Annual Fund and Database Manager to arrange a schedule for and to help draft direct mail and fund-raising blasts and works with Gift Processing and online donation service to create donation pages to link e-blasts to.
- Sends out other various e-blasts, including: fundraising blasts, event blasts, adoption promotion blasts, etc.
- Maintain up to date media list. Feed press releases to the media and post on website.
- Reaches out to media outlets to alert them of APL press release information.
- Participates in communications with media outlets regarding APL adoptable animals and special events.
- Participates in bi-weekly Communications Meeting with President/CEO, Senior Director of Development and Senior Director of Operations.
- Track print, web, radio, and TV media coverage of the Cleveland APL.
- Monitor Contact Manager email and distribute to the appropriate APL staff member.
Performs other duties as assigned including but not limited to:
- Follows all safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment for staff and living environment for animals. Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk
- Promotes communication and cooperation between APL departments
- Promotes integration and utilization of volunteers whenever possible
- Assists with communications/marketing-based projects
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
- Monitors staff and volunteer Facebook page and provides assistance to staff and volunteers when needed
- Works with online donation services (Network for Good & Greater Giving) to receive any needed assistance for online donation pages
- Associates degree; technical certification; or equivalent in demonstrated work experience
- Strong knowledge and Proficient with WordPress platform; knowledge of HTML5 strongly desired
- Ability to work with: Photoshop, InDesign, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Flicker, Instagram
- Strong writing skills: demonstrated experience in business writing & communications; must have command of grammar, vocabulary; punctuation; and spelling
- Proven ability to write with clarity of thought, conciseness, and is articulate with use of simple language and sentence structure
- Minimum 2 years administrative experience
- Minimum 2 years of copy writing, business communications, and/or PR/marketing collateral materials
- Valid Ohio Driver’s License and insurable driving record
Knowledge and Skills
- Working knowledge of Photoshop application and Adobe suite
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a variety of people
- Ability to work with a computer in a Windows environment using MS Office and other applications
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, and proven ability dealing with the public
- Detail oriented and able to prioritize and perform duties efficiently and effectively and with an adequate degree of independence; effective organizational skills; ability to multi-task
- Must be able to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Committed to maintaining the Cleveland Animal Protective League’s high standard of animal care and mission to foster compassion and end animal suffering.
- Fear Free Certified or must become certified within six months of hire
- Supports the APL’s desire to celebrate a diverse and inclusive culture that fuels the compassion that connects us to one another.