Job Title: Events Manager
Classification: Full time, salary, exempt
Job Relationship: Reports to Senior Director of Development.
Position Summary: Responsible for the planning, execution and growth of the Cleveland APL’s existing fundraising events, including the annual gala (Fur Ball), telethons, and larger community events. Develops and executes new major events as needs dictate. Acts as liaison to individuals who plan events to benefit the APL (community events). Plans and executes donor recognition events. Acts as liaison to board-supported, volunteer event initiatives.
Essential Job Functions:
Plans and executes fund-raising events, such as the Fur Ball gala and telethons, and donor recognition events.
- Oversees and supports board-led or endorsed event initiatives.
- Establishes and monitors event budgets and analyzes financial outcomes.
- Establishes relationships with vendors.
- Maintains event files and donor information.
- Oversees donor and participant acknowledgement.
- Provides timely and accurate communications, response, and stewardship to donors and sponsors and exceptional client and donor care.
- Works with Communications and Social Media Coordinator to market our events to our constituency and beyond.
- Seeks to develop new projects and event fundraising concepts to ensure long-term growth and fund-raising success for the APL.
- As needs dictate or evolve, develops and executes new major fundraising events.
- In collaboration with the board of directors and development team, solicits and increases corporate sponsorships.
- Serves as the liaison to hotel representatives and other vendors.
- Works with the Volunteer Manager to recruit, train and oversee volunteer event committee chairperson(s) and event night volunteers.
- Directly supervise event committee chairs and committees, such as auction procurement, presentation, decorations, and operations.
- Work with auction procurement chairs to ensure items are solicited, secured and entered into the auction database.
- Works with the Communications and Social Media Coordinator to prepare printed event materials, including the save-the-date mailing, invitation, and event program.
- If necessary, works with a virtual production company to execute a remote event. Utilizes relevant fundraising platforms, such as One Cause. Ensures effective, accurate registration and fundraising experiences and integration with event coordination platforms, such as HopIn.
- Works with the station’s team throughout the year to grow the event, increase sponsorships, and ensure the event’s success.
- Prepares sponsorship and phone bank banners and ensures sponsors are acknowledged on the website, in Pet Patter, and however else is appropriate.
- Works with the Volunteer Manager to determine event volunteer roles and oversees their execution of assignments.
- Solicits food donations for volunteers and media team for the day of the event.
- Prepares the broadcast and hospitality rooms for the day of the event and makes sure volunteers have all they need to be successful.
- Works with the talent and station staff on the day of the event to ensure event success.
- Works with the phone vendor to ensure the phone bank is operational for the event.
- Oversees and manages other community relationships involving fundraising and attendance at events or gatherings, such as Community Shares.
- Serves as liaison to members of the community who want to hold a fund-raiser for the APL.
- Reviews community event applications and approves or declines event. Consults the Senior Director of Development if there is a concern or question.
- Work with the Communications and Social Media Coordinator to ensure the success of the events through social media postings, website placement and e-blasts.
- Ensure the APL’s mission and message are accurately conveyed in written material and at the event.
- Attends events and/or recruit volunteers as required.
- Monitors accounting and collection of monies raised.
- Works with organizers to ensure that all opportunities to raise funds and awareness are executed.
- Oversees and helps to execute board-endorsed, volunteer group fundraising event initiatives and/or an annual event.
Performs other duties as assigned including but not limited to:
- Follows all safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment for staff and living environment for animals. Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk
- Promotes communication and cooperation between APL departments
- Promotes integration and utilization of volunteers whenever possible
- Assists with communications/marketing-based projects
- Works with online donation services (Network for Good, Greater Giving, One Cause) to receive any needed assistance for online donation pages
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in demonstrated work experience
- Social media expertise and knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Flicker, Instagram
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge donor database, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and One Cause preferred.
- Three to five years’ experience in organizing and executing fund-raising events with measurable success in event growth.
- Experience with training and supervising volunteers.
- Minimum 3 years administrative experience
- Able to read, understand, and follow instructions
- Valid Ohio Driver’s License and insurable driving record
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a variety of people
- Ability to work with a computer in a Windows environment using MS Office 365 and other applications
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, and proven ability dealing with the public
- Detail oriented and able to prioritize and perform duties efficiently and effectively and with an adequate degree of independence; effective organizational skills; ability to multi-task
- Must be able to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Committed to maintaining the Cleveland Animal Protective League’s high standard of animal care and mission to foster compassion and end animal suffering.