Job Title: Front Desk Receptionist
Classification: Full time, hourly, non-exempt
Job Relationship: Reports to Adoptions & Retail Supervisor. Works closely with Spay/Neuter Services and volunteers.
Position Summary: Greets and provides accurate information to facility visitors. Answers telephones and assists APL clients by handling their questions or appropriately redirecting calls. Works as dispatch for Humane Investigations Department. Maintains APL’s Lost & Found program.
Essential Job Functions:
Ensures optimal, professional customer service experience
- Models “Compassion” core value behavior: Treats animals & people with respect, empathy, and kindness. Listens and responds to the needs of people who visit or call the APL, use our programs and services, support us, work and volunteer for us, and to other animal welfare organizations that turn to us for help. Represents the APL in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Provides prompt and courteous in-person and telephone customer service; counsels and educates clients; assists them with problem-solving and discusses options
- Provides accurate information about the APL’s programs and services; directs clients to the appropriate departments or other agencies for further assistance as needed
- Maintains Lost & Found program by taking lost and found reports from clients, cross-referencing reports against the Lost & Found books and shelter population in order to reunite lost animals with their homes whenever possible; keeps Lost & Found books current
- Promotes integration and utilization of volunteers; assists with volunteer training.
- Actively solicits donations. Assists with accepting in-kind donations
Performs Adoption Associate Duties
- Conducts adoptions, provides adoption counseling/selection assistance, accurately enters computer data, completes necessary paperwork
- Educates clients on responsible animal guardianship and animal care
- Actively promotes and markets APL animals and matches them to appropriate families
- Performs follow-up services
- Assists clients seeking lost pets
- Accurately updates animal records in PetPoint
- Stocks areas and spot-cleans kennels and public areas throughout the day as needed
- Keeps supervisor informed of visitor, client and animal concerns
Performs other duties as assigned including but not limited to:
- Informs supervisor of special needs cases for potential public relations or direct mail pieces
- Follows all safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment for staff and living environment for animals. Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk
- Promotes communication and cooperation between APL departments
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum one year customer service experience
- Able to read, understand, and follow instructions
- Experience in animal welfare strongly preferred
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a variety of people
- Ability to work with a computer in a Windows environment
- Knowledge of animal breeds, behavior, and handling
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability dealing with the public
- Demonstrated ability to handle high-stress and emotionally charged situations
- Detail oriented and able to prioritize and perform duties efficiently and effectively and with an adequate degree of independence
- Committed to maintaining the Cleveland Animal Protective League’s high standard of animal care and mission to foster compassion and end animal suffering.