Job Title: Finance Associate
Classification: Part time, hourly, non-exempt (16 hours a week)
Job Relationship: Reports to Director of Finance
Position Summary: Provides accounting support to the Finance Assistant and Director of Finance.
Supports the department’s mission of maintaining an environment of transparency, accountability, and high ethical and business standards, as well as a solid framework of standard financial controls and procedures, to ensure the integrity of the financial and bookkeeping process and compliance with federal, state, and local legal and reporting requirements.
Essential Job Functions:
Performs deposits and banking activities:
- Process, reconcile and prepare Shelter bank deposits, including verifying credit card reports against receipts. Follow-up with appropriate staff with questions and discrepancies.
- Receive, verity and transmit electronic bank deposits from the Development department.
- Create journal entries to record Shelter and Development deposits in accounting software.
- Create journal entries to record ACH payments.
Performs accounts payable activities:
- Assist with matching vendor invoices with purchase orders and other supporting documentation. Follow-up with appropriate staff with questions, discrepancies, and/or with missing purchase orders.
- Assist with entering vendor invoices in accounting software.
- Assemble and mail signed/authorized checks to vendors.
- File invoices and copies of checks in vendor files.
Performs other duties as assigned including, but not limited to:
- Process monthly Animal Welfare Clinic invoices including assigning invoice numbers, tracking, and mailing. Create journal entries to record accounts receivable and service revenue. Notify the Director of Finance of past due invoices.
- Perform monthly Petty Cash reconciliation. Investigate and resolve variances and discrepancies.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned, including routine calculations, analyses, and creating/generating/maintaining reports and complex spreadsheets.
- Provide assistance to staff and volunteers when needed.
- Keep the Director of Finance informed on the above items.
- Adhere to the APL’s accounting and financial policies and procedures, including cash handling, internal controls, and segregation of duties.
- Represents the APL in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Provides quality service to clients, volunteers, and staff, recognizing their individual contributions to the success of our organization.
- Promotes a safe work environment by actively monitoring safety compliance of staff and taking immediate action to correct hazards.
- Attends necessary meetings and provides feedback.
- Supports management and discusses differences privately.
- Two – three years of bookkeeping or accounts payable experience preferred
- Previous experience with Financial Edge preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to perform bookkeeping entries, computations and calculations accurately.
- Ability to identify and problem solve discrepancies or errors.
- Ability to thrive working both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment with a variety of people, personalities, noises, and distractions.
- Ability to promote communication and cooperation between APL departments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Office 365.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess attention to detail.
Must be able to maintain high level of confidentiality.