Adopting from the APL
First Things First!
If you are considering adopting an animal, we recommend some preliminary steps:
- Discuss adopting a pet with all members of the family.
- If you are a tenant, obtain your landlord’s permission to bring an animal onto the property. The number one reason cited for pet surrender is landlord issues.
- Verify your city’s ordinances and laws pertaining to pet guardianship and that your pet will not be in violation of established statutes.
Visit Our Adoption Centers!
Feel free to look around one of our adoption centers, spend some time, and fall in love. Once you decide to adopt, you will have an opportunity to meet with a knowledgeable member of our staff who will give you information on the history and needs of that animal, and his/her feeding and exercise requirements. You can ask your adoption counselor any questions about house-training, training classes, scratching (in cats), introducing your new pet, veterinary care, how to deal with fleas, or anything else you can think of!
- Meet with one of our Adoptions Specialists to review the animal’s medical history and to enter a meet & greet
- Provide your Driver’s License or State Issued Identification to the staff at the front desk (Must be 18 years or older to adopt)
- Read and sign the Adoption Contract
Our adoption fees vary based upon an animal’s species, breed, and training.
When you adopt a feline or canine from the Cleveland APL, your Adoption Package includes:
- Spay/Neuter Surgery
- Initial treatment for worms and fleas
- Post-Adoption Health Exam Donated by a Local Veterinarian
- Species-specific Portfolio with a wealth of information about your new pet.
And A Few Other Things!
Your dog license must be purchased. If you are a resident of Cuyahoga County, you are required to purchase a dog license annually. We will license your canine companion before you leave and add that fee to the cost of your final adoption total.
The Pawtique at our Adoption Center in Tremont: Our One-Stop Retail Shop offers many of the basic supplies your new pet will need:
- Leashes and Gentle Leaders
- Science Diet Food for Dogs and Cats
- Bowls and Dishes
- Pet Beds and Mats
- Litter and Litter Pans
- Grooming Supplies
- Toys and Treats
- Plus, Cleveland APL Gear / Swag for Humans
Our trained staff can help you in making your selections and will be happy to answer any questions you have about any of our available items.
Take Advantage of a Free Follow-Up Veterinary Exam!
A list of participating local veterinarians will be provided to you who offer one free health exam to an APL animal if the appointment is made within two weeks of your new friend’s adoption.
This offer includes the initial office visit/health exam-only. The cost of follow up exams, rabies or other vaccines, diagnostic testing, treatment for illness or injury, or elective procedures will be the responsibility of the animal guardian. You can get a head start on the adoption process by printing your Cat Adopter Survey, Dog Adopter Survey, Small Animal Adopter Survey or Barn Animal Survey, completing it, and bringing it in to us!