We are suspending adoptions until further notice.
If you are able to help us care for an animal during this time, please sign up to be a foster parent/family and contact us at [email protected]
Our hours will be 11:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Saturday, closed on Sunday. Please note that we are only able to assist clients by appointment at this time. Call 216-771-4616 x 0 for more information.
If you are a Cleveland resident with an urgent animal care need or are in need food or other supplies for your pet as a result of COVID-19, please contact us at 216-255-5012 or 216-771-4616 x 0 for assistance.
Before You Adopt!
If you are considering adopting an animal, we recommend some preliminary steps:
- Discuss adopting a pet with all members of the family.
- Consider the financial requirements of properly caring for an animal.
- If you are a tenant, obtain your landlord’s permission to bring an animal onto the property. The number one reason cited for pet surrender is landlord issues.
- Verify your city’s ordinances and laws pertaining to pet guardianship and that your pet will not be in violation of established statutes.
Visit Our Adoption Center!
Feel free to look around our adoption center, spend some time, and fall in love. Once you decide to adopt, you will have an opportunity to meet with a knowledgeable member of our staff who will give you information on the history and needs of that animal, and his/her feeding and exercise requirements. You can ask your adoption counselor any questions about house-training, training classes, scratching (in cats), introducing your new pet, veterinary care, how to deal with fleas, or anything else you can think of!
- Meet with one of our Adoptions Specialists to review the animal’s known medical and behavioral history and to enter a meet & greet
- Provide your Driver’s License or State Issued Identification to the staff at the front desk (Must be 18 years or older to adopt)
- Read and sign the Adoption Contract
Our adoption fees vary based upon an animal’s species, breed, and training.
When you adopt a feline or canine from the Cleveland APL, your Adoption Package includes:
- Spay/Neuter Surgery
- Initial Vaccines
- Initial treatment for worms and fleas
- Post-Adoption Health Exam donated by one of our partner vets within two weeks of adoption
- Species-specific Portfolio with a wealth of information about your new pet.
And a Few Other Things!
Your dog license must be purchased. If you are a resident of Cuyahoga County, you are required to purchase a dog license annually. We will license your canine companion before you leave and add that fee to the cost of your final adoption total.
The Pawtique at our Adoption Center in Tremont: Our One-Stop Retail Shop offers many of the basic supplies your new pet will need:
- Leashes and Gentle Leaders
- Science Diet Food for Dogs and Cats
- Bowls and Dishes
- Pet Beds and Mats
- Litter and Litter Pans
- Grooming Supplies
- Toys and Treats
- Plus, Cleveland APL Gear / Swag for Humans
Our trained staff can help you in making your selections and will be happy to answer any questions you have about any of our available items.
Take Advantage of a Free Follow-Up Veterinary Exam!
A list of participating local veterinarians will be provided to you who offer one free health exam to an APL animal if the appointment is made within two weeks of your new friend’s adoption.
This offer includes the initial office visit/health exam-only. The cost of follow up exams, rabies or other vaccines, diagnostic testing, treatment for illness or injury, or elective procedures will be the responsibility of the animal guardian. You can get a head start on the adoption process by printing your Cat Adopter Survey, Dog Adopter Survey, Small Animal Adopter Survey or Barn Animal Survey, completing it, and bringing it in to us!