All available animals can be viewed on our website at our Adoptable Animals page where adopters will find instructions on how to adopt and a link to the adoption surveys. At this time, the Cleveland APL is not allowing in-person browsing. Dog meet and greets will require an appointment and are limited to two to three dogs that the adopter has selected or that the APL team believes would be a nice fit based on input provided by prospective adopters before their appointment. The majority of the adoption process will be carried out virtually. Animal pick-ups are done with a scheduled appointment. Face masks are required for all services, including curbside services.
Due to call volume, we will not be able to accommodate phone calls about specific animals until you have completed the online adoption survey. We are also currently unable to accommodate any walk-ins or in-person browsing.
Our adoption hours are 10:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Saturday, 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. Sunday. Please note that we are only able to assist clients by appointment at this time.
All services require face-coverings, including those that take place curbside.
If you are a Cleveland resident with an urgent animal care need or are in need food or other supplies for your pet as a result of COVID-19, please contact us at 216-255-5012 or 216-771-4616 x 0 for assistance.
- Fill out adopter survey:
- View our adoptable animals.
Canine Adoption Fees
- Dogs (5 months and older): Start at $125*
- Puppies (under 5 months): Start at $200*
A dog license must be purchased at the time of adoption–please add county license to final price. License fees vary between $10 and $21, depending on the dog’s age and time of year of adoption.
Feline Adoption Fees
- Cats (5 months and older): $50
- Kittens (under 5 months): $125
- All cats 5 months and over are buy one and get another kitty friend for only $25.
- All kittens under 5 months are buy one and get another kitty friend for only $50.
All cats must leave the shelter in a carrier. If you do not bring one with you, one must be purchased at the shelter for $3.00.
Small Mammals Adoption Fees
- Rabbits: $25
- Ferrets: $65
- Guinea Pigs: $15
- Mice: $5
- Rats: $10
- Parakeets: $25
- Hamsters: $5
* Certain animals may have higher or lower adoption fees. See Adoption Associates for details. All cats and dogs adopted from the Cleveland APL are altered (spayed or neutered), examined by a veterinarian, have received age appropriate, preliminary vaccinations, and have been treated for fleas and worms. Dogs six months and older have been tested for heartworm and given an initial preventative treatment. All cats and kittens have been tested for FeLV and FIV.
Adoption Fees for Seniors
The Cleveland Animal Protective League participates in a special program called Pets for the Elderly. This program allows senior citizens to adopt a companion pet at a reduced adoption fee while funds last, in turn, creating happily ever afters for both the pet and adopter.